• September 28"Week of Respect" Monday 10/1-Friday 10/5

• September 27China Trip 2019 Meeting - Wednesday, October 3 at 6pm in the Rogich Library

President’s Day

President's Day is coming up!

Olivia Piere, Contributor

Photo Credit:

https://images.pexels.com/photos/532820/pexels-photo-532820.jpeg?w=940&h=650&auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb

President’s Day is coming up where we don’t have to attend school, a five day weekend! On Thursday, February 15th through Monday, February 19th, we get to take a break from all the work at school and just get to relax for five days.  Presidents day falls on the third Monday in February, in the United States.  Here’s an interesting fact, plus this day became a federal holiday in 1879. In 1968 they tried to make President’s day the third Monday, but that didn’t work out. Until, 1971 they passed the day to celebrate the President’s. Apparently, there are four presidents born in February. There’s Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, George Washington, and William Harrison.

President’s Day, is one of the first federal holidays, created to honor an American president. This holiday used to be on February 22, Washington’s birthday, which was soon changed on January 1, 1971. The new day they chose to celebrate President’s day is on the third Monday in February, changed by the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, the Uniform Monday Holiday Act is an Act of Congress that changes the federal holiday provisions of the United States Code to make the observance of certain holidays on Mondays. People call this day President’s Day instead of Washington’s Birthday. Now let us take this five day weekend to relax and come back to school refreshed.

About the Writer
Olivia Piere, Contributor

Olivia Piere is an 8th grade student from Sig Rogich Middle School and is 13 years old. She has been in Publications for two years now. Olivia is a hardworking student and tries her best to get good grades in school.  Outside of school you would see Olivia hanging out with her friends on the weekend or staying at home. Olivia was born and raised in Las Vegas.