The Unique Holidays of March

You'll be weirded out by the end of this story!

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Unique Holidays of March

David Larsen, Contributor

In March, we like to celebrate holidays like St. Patrick’s Day. They’re fun, festive, and most people know about and celebrate them. Then there are holidays like Old Stuff Day, and the other random holidays most people don’t know about. That’s what we’re talking about. So, remember to mark your calendars, and enjoy the list.

Employee Appreciation Day

Employee Appreciation Day is a holiday celebrated on the first Friday in March in the United States and Canada. It’s a day for companies to thank their employees for their hard work throughout the year. Companies often celebrate with special gifts, events, or recognition of their workers. Also, it’s scientifically proven that showing employees appreciation can result in a company’s higher retention rate. So make sure to thank your teachers and parents for their hard work and effort on March 2.

Barbie Day

Did you know that over one billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide in over 150 countries? Or that Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts? Well, you do now, and you can tell this fact to your friends on March 9, also known as National Barbie Day! To celebrate Barbie day, let your inner child run free! Do you have a collection of dolls gathering dust in your basement? Head on down there and bring them back into the light of day. Have fun, and go wild with your Barbie Doll!

Frozen Food Day

There’s frozen pizza, ice cream, seafood, and even frozen eggs! Let’s face it, at one point, we’ve all ate frozen food, and you should probably have some on March 6, which is National Frozen Food Day. It was created by Ronald Reagan on March 6, 1984, and has been celebrated ever since. So, mark your calendar because you’re going to want to have some frozen food on this day.

National Pig Day

Some may see the pig as just a normal animal. On March 1, though, that’s not true. People (mainly in the Midwest) are going to be celebrating National Pig Day, which was created to honor the pig. This holiday was first established in 1972 by a pair of sisters, one from Texas, one from North Carolina. These siblings recognized the importance of the animal for being fine, and that the noble animal deserved a day to be respected and celebrated.

National Pi Day

National Pi Day celebrates Pi, a mathematical number that no one has found the end to yet (Most people round it to 3.14). So far, scientists have found 2.7 trillion numbers in Pi! If you love math, this is your day. It is also Albert Einstein’s Birthday, who was born on March 14, 1879, meaning the day is always celebrated on the 14th. To celebrate, you can enjoy watching or contributing in pie eating contests, discussing the significance of the number, or eating a slice of pie in general. Make sure to have fun, and eat lots of pie on this day.

Something on a Stick Day

How many things can you think of that are on a stick? You’re probably thinking popsicles and corn dogs, which is what you should be eating on Something on a Stick Day, celebrated on March 28. The way to celebrate the day is pretty self explanatory: eat foods on a stick, like cupcake pops, chocolate-covered bananas, and candy-coated caramel apples. Have fun eating foods on a stick!

Did you know about any of these crazy holidays? Which holiday was your favorite? Make sure to leave a comment, and as always, remember to check out the other amazing articles on Rider Review from our talented writers. And make sure to mark your calendar, since you’re not going to want to miss these days. Have fun, Rough Riders! See you next month!

Photo Credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/landscape-photo-of-green-and-red-balloons-225025/ 

About the Writer
David Larsen, Contributor

David Larsen is currently an eighth grader and has been at Rogich since sixth grade. He joined Publications last year and although he wrote stories for...