St. Patrick Day Traditions

Maliyah Masterson, Contributor

St. Patrick’s Day, a day of celebration, festivities, and in certain cases, traditions. This wonderful holiday originating from Ireland, or also called ‘The Emerald Isle’ celebrates one of their patron saints St. Patrick.  Shared by the young and the old, here are some of the traditions, and their origins that are shared around the world on St. Patrick’s Day.

Wearing Green

Now this one is an old tradition that originally started in the 17th century. People would wear green ribbons to commemorate St. Patrick himself, and for what he has done. Since this wonderful holiday originated from Ireland or also known as ‘The Emerald Isle’, it seems fitting that to celebrate this holiday while wearing green. Ireland’s flag also has a rather large appearance of green upon it as well. 

Photo Credit: armyofawesomepeople.com/2015/03/17/how-the-tradition-of-pinching-people-on-st-patricks-day-got-started/

Pinching

Pinching those who do not wear green, also originated from the 17th century. Not wearing green meant that the leprechauns could come and capture them, pinching those who do not wear green was taken as a reminder to those people of the consequences that can occur to the person for not wearing green. After all who wants to be taken by a tiny little mischievous creature?

Leprechauns

Starting as an old folktale leprechauns were tiny little mischievous creatures. The stories of these creatures were passed down through generations of families. Even though these creatures were considered mischievous in their own way, they were also considered good luck and very rare to catch one. They were quick, and were able to be easily hidden. Some people as a tradition try to to catch leprechauns, on March 17th. By building leprechaun traps with, a shoe inside, as a lure to the leprechaun. Just remember they are tricky little fellas, and even though they are considered good luck are still mischievous little creatures.

Photo Credit: https://goodlucksymbols.com/leprechaun/

Four Leafed Clover

Many may know the four leaf clover to be a sign of luck, and well it is but, how did it start? Also known as a shamrock, these also had a history in folktales, and storytelling that has been passed on throughout generations. Worn by priests, shamrocks were known to allow priests to see evil spirits, but if they wore a four leafed clover, it was believed to repel all the bad luck. Later as the years went on children of the middle ages started to believe that if a four leafed clover in their possession would allow them to see mythical creature, and give them good luck. Who knew, that 3 or 4 leaves could have so much rich history beneath their leaves.

Photo Credit: http://stockcharts.com/articles/journal/2016/10/the-magic-and-power-of-a–four-leaf-clover-investor.html

About the Writer
Maliyah Masterson, Contributor

Maliyah S. Masterson is an 8th grader who attends, Sig Rogich Middle School. She is on the yearbook, and newspaper staff. Her favorite subject in school...