Did You Know?

Alexander Guerrero, Contributor

Most of us know what a leprechaun is: the short, green, St. Patrick’s Day, elf-like creature that loves gold! Many of us may have even made little traps in our elementary schools, to try to trap a leprechaun on St. Patrick’s Day. But, when was the leprechaun first heard from, and where may it have come from? Leprechauns were first referenced in a medieval tale, know as Echtra Fergus mac Léti, or in English: Adventure of Fergus Son of Léti. There is a part in the tale where one character, Fergus mac Léti, falls asleep on a beach to wake up and find himself being dragged into the sea by three  lúchorpáin, or as we know them, leprechauns. In the story, Fergus mac Léti eventually catches the three leprechauns, and for freedom they grant him three wishes, one for each leprechaun.

Another thing about the leprechaun, was that before the twentieth century, the leprechaun was more known to be wearing red, not green. That is some history and origin behind the gold seeking leprechauns we attempt to catch, and think about on St. Patrick’s Day today!

About the Writer
Alexander Guerrero, Contributor
Seventh-grader, Alexander Guerrero, is in many great activities, has many interesting hobbies, and overall is a neat person.  Alexander is in Chess club, Publications, and Forensics.  Alexander loves to be creative, and builds, draws, and comes up with creative ideas for fun.  He always works his hardest on any challenge he is given, so his...