• September 28"Week of Respect" Monday 10/1-Friday 10/5

• September 27China Trip 2019 Meeting - Wednesday, October 3 at 6pm in the Rogich Library

A Day for Trees

Arbor Day 2018

Jackson Taylor, Contributor

Have you ever wondered if there is more you could do to protect trees in our environment? Well, there is one day out of the year that you are supposed to do just that, Arbor Day. Arbor Day is the annual holiday that we celebrate the importance of trees in our environment and community. Many celebrate Arbor Day by planting trees and showing concern about deforestation. Although the 50 states and many territories of the United States celebrate Arbor Day, many countries don’t. Here are some of the different celebrations around the world;

• In Israel they celebrate the New Year’s Day of the Trees
  • Korea has a Tree-Loving Week
  • In Iceland they have a Student’s Afforestation Day
  • Yugoslavia holds two celebrations, Arbor Day in the spring and an Afforestation Day in the fall
  • India also celebrates with a National Festival of Tree Planting.

Along with many different celebrations like Arbor Day, The date of Arbor Day has been changed many times over the years.

This Arbor Day will be the 146th annual celebration. The tradition all stated on April 10, 1872 in Nebraska. The idea came when Julius Sterling Morton moved to Nebraska and noticed the depletion of trees in the area. Once becoming editor of Nebraska’s first newspaper, Morton was able to share his beliefs with many others. His followers agreed and said they needed trees for windbreaks, fuel, and lumber. After gaining followers, the state board of agriculture approved his plan to “to set aside one day to plant trees, both forest and fruit.” and declared April 10th to be the day. After his death, Arbor Day began being celebrated on Julius Sterling Morton’s birthday, April 22, until the date was changed to its current date, the last Friday in April. So this year, I encourage you to join millions of others and support one of the most important things in our environment, trees.

Photo Source- https://twitter.com/arborday

About the Writer
Jackson Taylor, Contributor

Jackson Taylor, a boy born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee on September 5, 2003. He was raised in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in a town called Signal Mountain Tennessee. He had a lake in his backyard and grew up loving the outdoors. He became a scout at a young age and really loved camping, fishing and hanging out with his dad.

Jackson moved to Las Vegas with his two sisters, mom and dad when he was about to start 6th grade. He moved into a small house in a nice neighborhood. He had friends, a good school, a good scout group, he had all he wanted. Since then, he moved into a big house, has great friends, and has missed Tennessee.

He enjoys hanging out with his friends, camping, fishing, having family time, god, football, going to Tennessee, and having fun.

You can take the boy out of Tennessee, but you can’t take Tennessee out of the boy.