The Marvelous Life of Ms. McCumber!

Explore the life of a math teacher from Sig Rogich Middle School!

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Marvelous Life of Ms. McCumber!

Alexis Long, Contributor

Ms. McCumber teaches 7th grade Pre-Algebra and 7th and 8th grade Algebra I. For her Algebra students, she is currently teaching them word problems with specific equations, and for her Pre-Algebra students, she is teaching them certain equations. She teaches square roots, uniform motion, and many more fascinating topics. Ever since kindergarten, she has wanted to be a teacher. Teaching math was her first career, and she has been doing it for several years now. In addition, she stated that “I have the best kids in the school.” Her favorite moments in Sig Rogich Middle School is seeing her students pass assessments they are given to complete. Furthermore, she enjoys all of the lovely teachers and staff she works with and enjoys what she does a lot.

She believes that Chromebooks have helped learning at Rogich and stated that, “It makes everything easier to get to.” However, although they are extremely beneficial tools, “They should only be used appropriately.” In all of her math classes, she goes through the same, organized routine every day that  First, the students do their warm-up, which is only a few questions given to them that usually gives them an idea of what they’re going to learn that day, or what they have learned the day before. Then, they correct homework. Immediately after this, they write notes to help them understand what they should be learning. After all of these tasks are complete, the students do the math homework given to them until the bell rings. Her routine helps keep her students organized and makes it easier for them to understand the topic.

In high school, she did many extracurricular activities like volleyball, basketball, forensics, and student council. She went to college at University of Wisconsin-Superior, where she decided to go into their Pre-Med program. However, she adored teaching, so she decided to pursue her dream by giving up the Pre-Med program and go to educate others.

Outside of Rogich, Ms. McCumber likes to go shopping, go to the movies, play games with friends, and many other amusing things. She enjoys many things at Sig Rogich Middle School including having thorough, engrossing conversations with other teachers, helping other students’ develop their knowledge in math, seeing her own students pass the assessments given, and many more. All in all, Ms. McCumber appreciates and adores the job she has and lives a very interesting life.

Photo Credit: Dorian Studios