Perfect President’s Day

The story of the beginning of President's Day

https://www.pexels.com/search/Us/

Elizabeth Christ, Contributor

Presidents Day is an US holiday celebrated on the third Monday in February. Presidents Day this year occurs on Monday, February 18. Presidents day which was originally established in 1885 was to recognize President George Washington. The holiday became known as Presidents Day because it was moved as part of 1971’s Uniform Monday Holiday Act. Which attempt to create more three-day weekends for the US workers. While several states still have individual holidays honoring the birthdays of Presidents like Washington, Abraham Lincoln and other figures, Presidents Day is now popularly viewed as a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents, with parades and parties.

Photo Credit: https://www.pexels.com/search/president/

The start of Presidents Day date begins in the 1800s. Following the death of George Washington in 1799, his birthday February 22 became a perennial day of remembrance. At the time, Washington was ruled as the most important figure in the construction of the US, and events like the 1832 centennial of his birth, and the start of construction of the Washington Monument in 1848 were cause for US celebration. While Washington’s Birthday was unofficial for most of the 1800s. In the late 1870s it became a federal holiday. For this we have to thank Senator Steven Wallace Dorsey of Arkansas was the first to propose the measure. In 1879 President Rutherford B. Hayes signed it into law.

President’s day was move by Nixon. People believed that it was to honor Washington and Lincoln because they date fell in between their  birthdays. Marketers soon took the opportunity to use up the three-day weekend with sales, and so “Presidents Day” bargains were advertised at stores around the country. By the mid-1980s. Eventually Washington’s Birthday was known to many Americans as Presidents Day. The shift had solidified in the early 2000s, by which time half of the 50 states had changed the holiday’s name to Presidents Day on their calendars.

In 1932, the President’s day was used to reinstate the Purple Heart, which was a military dedication originally created by George Washington to honor soldiers killed or wounded while serving in the armed forces. Patriotic groups such as the Boy Scouts of America also hold celebrations on the day. In 1938 over 5,000 people attended a mass in honor of Washington. Today, Presidents Day is used by many for, reenactments and other events. A number of states also require that their public schools to teach about the President’s.