The Brave Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks is a strong and amazing woman

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Brave Rosa Parks

Brooke Silon, Contributor

The Brave Rosa Parks

The 3rd of February is much more than just Valentine’s and chocolates, it’s nationally recognized as “Black History Month.” February is a time to remember all the brave African-American men and women who fought hard for civil rights. Rosa Parks was one of many that believed that African-Americans deserved to be treated as equals to white people.

Rosa Parks was born in Alabama on February 4, 1913. All of her young life, she and others like her, were made to feel like they were not wanted. Alabama laws segregated blacks from whites. There were separate schools, bathrooms, books, entrances to building, lines and even water fountains. As a young school girl, she would watch the white kids get picked up by their school bus as all the black kids walked. Black students were not provided school buses, just because they were black. There were many nights that her grandfather stood by the front door with a shotgun, ready to defend his family should a problem arise from racist groups like the Ku Klux Klan.

On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks boarded a bus and sat in an empty seat in the back of the bus, in the “colored” section. As the bus went along with its stops, the “white” section seats filled up. Seeing that some white passengers were standing, the bus driver stopped the bus and moved the “colored” section sign behind Rosa Parks, demanding that she and others give up their seats so that the white people could sit down. Rosa refused to move. She was determined to fight for her rights. Later she was arrested for violating the segregation laws.

Following her arrest, the Montgomery Boycott began and thousands of African Americans marched and protested. They fought hard for the laws to be changed and it worked. Rosa Parks is just one of many who refused to be pushed around just because of the skin color of her skin. Rosa will forever be remembered for her bravery and spirit, inspiring us all that if you believe in yourself and fight for what is right, you can do anything.

Photo credits:https://www.google.com/search?q=rosa+parks&rlz=1CALOEB_enUS812US812&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLvvms6ILgAhXlrFQKHWQLDDAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1300&bih=530&tbs=sur:fmc&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=pML4KAgTc-YmHM:

Information website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks#Early_lifev

About the Writer
Brooke Silon, Contributor

Brooke is a student at Sig Rogich Middle School. She loves to swim and do gymnastics in her free time. Her favorite subject is English because she does...