Daylight Savings Time

Learn about daylight savings time and how to prepare for it.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Daylight Savings Time

Anna Rampoldi, Contributor

Daylight Savings Time. The time of year where we have a change in time. Once during the spring and once during the fall this day occurs. The Spring daylight savings time is coming up quick on March 10th, so be prepared to set those clocks forward one hour.

The person who invented daylight savings time was a scientist from New Zealand named George Vernon Hudson and British builder, William Willett. Hudson sent in a document to the Wellington Philosophical Society stating that there should be a 2-hour shift forward in October and a 2-hour shift back in March. Sadly, they didn’t accept his proposition, and his idea was shot down. Willett, separately from Hudson, went out and thought of setting the clock forward 20 minutes every Sunday in April and back for 20 minutes every Sunday in September. Clearly, both of these ideas did not go through because this is not how daylight savings is today.

The first known country to use daylight savings time is Canada, but Germany really made this day popular across the world. No one really followed Canada in this day, but when Germany started carrying on with this tradition, other powerful countries, like the United Kingdom and France, began to follow. Today, 70 countries worldwide use daylight savings, affecting about a billion people.

Students here at Sig Rogich Middle School can prepare for daylight savings time by using these helpful hacks. For example, by going to bed earlier, students will be well rested for the time change. Students should avoid drinking beverages with caffeine because it will throw off sleeping time. Another strategy is to set clocks forward the night before. This will help the risk of not making it hard to know the real time. Finally, by having a productive Sunday morning there will be no procrastination. Many people will quickly get used to the schedule because they force themselves to do it.

All in all, daylight savings time in an annual tradition that has been going on for over a century. By following some of these simple steps, daylight savings time won’t affect your sleep time. So, set back your clocks, get a good night’s rest and prepare for daylight savings time.

Photo Credit: Pexels.com