Save Our Earth

Why is the Earth deteriorating right in front of everyone?

Katie Kar, Contributor

Our Earth, our home, the only planet to support human life in the entire galaxy to the knowledge of the human race. March 20th is Sun-Earth Day also known as the Vernal Equinox. Sun-Earth Day is not the same as International Earth Day, however both days help raise awareness about saving our earth. Even though people take the Earth for granted, everyone relies on Earth in order to survive. According to https://www.decaturrecycles.com/recycle-program-facts/ , a site that talks about recycling and helping save earth, (listed below) here are all problems that are causing planet Earth’s distress in the universe.  Learn new things about planet earth and help share the danger of glass, cardboard, paper, aluminum, and how it’s affecting the Earth.

• Every three months, Americans discard enough aluminum to completely rebuild every single commercial airplane in America.
  • It takes about 400 years for aluminum to break down naturally. That Coke can you just drank from will probably still look about the same in another century or two.
  • A used aluminum can be recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can, in as little as 60 days.
  • Used aluminum cans can be recycled and used in various products like vehicle parts, sliding shutters for windows and doors, etc.
  • Recycle paper If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year.
  • The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
  • Approximately 1 billion trees worth of paper are thrown away every year in the U.S.
  • Every day American businesses generate enough paper to circle the earth 20 times.
  • If every household in the U.S. reused a paper bag for one shopping trip, about 60,000 trees would be saved.
  • Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour! Most of them are thrown away.
  • The average time taken by plastic bottles to decompose in a landfill is close to 700 years.
  • Every month, we throw out enough glass bottles and jars to fill up a giant skyscraper. All of these jars are recyclable.
  • Glass is one of the very few products that can be recycled continuously…FOREVER.
  • Recycling one ton of cardboard saves over nine cubic yards of landfill space.
  • Earth911 reports that recycling one ton of cardboard can save around 46 gallons of oil.
  • Recycling 1 ton of corrugated cardboard saves 700 gallons of water.

Even though people only believe the trees are endangered and are causing our oxygen level to decrease the Earth is dying underneath everyone’s fingertips the human race doesn’t seem to notice at all. Why should the earth get sick and eventually die from the mistakes of humans? All the commercials on T.V. say how vaping and smoking are bad for you and your lungs, imagine cars, anything that releases gas going into the atmosphere and basically making the earth a sick lung or organism. With everything being pumped into the earth’s atmosphere, there is only a certain amount of questions:

• How much longer does Earth have with all the pollution?
  • How long does the human race have?
  • How can we save the Earth?

The answer to these questions and more are solved with one answer. That answer is stop using cars, stop using a lot of paper, reuse old items instead of sending them off to garbage islands to also pollute our oceans. Even though the answers to the world’s problem can’t be solved right away there is one thing that everyone in the entire world could do. That one thing is to start using recycled products, such as recycled paper, or book, backpacks even. Don’t think just because an item is old and useless doesn’t mean it’s useful to someone else. There are kids dying in the world because of global warming, it’s causing less water which causes less food to grow which means the number of people being able to eat decreases.

One thing  that should be answered is: Why are we doing this to planet Earth?

Photo credit: Pexels.com