National Art Day

Taking a look into art´s amazing history and even spotlighting an aspiring artist in Sig Rogich Middle School.

Back to Article
Back to Article

National Art Day

Ana Belen Ponce Calvillo, Contributor

On October 25, 2019, it will be National Art Day and therefore, so much creativity will be present in so many places, including our school. In Mrs. Foster’s 8th grade art class, there is an aspiring young artist that gain many student’s attention in particular. After interviewing the artist, it was shown that she is very talented and passionate about this subject. Not only will learning about magnificent art accomplishments in the past be amusing, but finding the exceptional talent in our school will be even more exciting.

Artists From The Past

38,000-33,000 BC

Lion-Man of the Hohlenstein-Stadel

Lion-Man of the Hohlenstein-Stadel (also known as lion-human) is a prehistoric sculpture made from ivory, was discovered in a German cave in 1937. It ́s German name, Löwenmensch, meaning ̈lion human ̈ is most frequently used since the sculpture was found and is displayed in Germany.

1400

Oil Paints Was Discovered

History suggests that oil paints had been used as far back as the 1400 ́s and also claims Belgian painter, Jan van Eyck, developed. He came across the idea after dealing with the dreadful problem all artists face. The drying time of the paints took to long and artists eventually had their hands ties. By mixing pigments with various oils and nuts, he created the perfect texture and it eventually became his signature art style.

1870

The Met Opened

The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded in 1870 for the purpose of opening a museum that can hold diverse artworks and educate minds on the different styles that artists use. It was carefully located on 681 Fifth Avenue. The Met is the largest museum in the United States of America and has one of the safest security systems in the world.

1960

Jean-Michel Basquiat Was Born

Jean-Michel Basquiat was a famous artist in the 1970’s when hip hop, rap, and punk was popular and he interpreted this in many of his paintings. His artwork was featured in numerous galleries and exhibits internationally. In fact, the Whitney Museum of American Art still holds his art to this day.

2019

Aspiring Artist in Sig Rogich Middle School

Emma Law

Emma Law is a very talented young lady and after interviewing her, she seems very promising as an amazing artist. The questions I asked were,  “What first drew you to art?” Emma answered, “Art just sounded really fun because drawing has always been fun for me.” Another question I asked was,”Who inspired you to take art?” She replied,  “No one really inspired me; in fact, everyone discouraged me to. Everyone told me to take choir instead of 

art.” After that, the next question was,  “Do you enjoy the experience of being in art?” Emma answered, “Yes; art is very fun. Everything is beautiful, no matter the artist or the style. You can’t be wrong in art. “My final question was, “What kind of art do you enjoy most?” Emma immediately replied, “I love to sketch with pencils and pens. I find it easiest to shade and make it look real with pencil, pen, and colored pencils.” This young artist is in eighth grade shows promise and is a perfect example for National Art Day for October 25, 2019.

Oil Paint

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Metropolitan-Museum-of-Art

Photo Credit: Melanie Furtado