Places to visit in Nevada for the Summer

Relax and have a little summertime fun!

Samhita Mookerjee, Contributor

It’s finally summer which means lots of time to relax and enjoy yourself for the break. This year has been very stressful and it’s nothing short of saying that everyone needs a well deserved break. Some people’s summers won’t be as eventful and others might be, maybe the summer will be a surprise. Well due to the new Covid vaccine now available for children and teenagers, things may start to finally get better. Fun is something that can be represented in different ways, like some people may find reading a book fun or going to a mountain. Maybe there are some adventurous people who enjoy skydiving. However, here are just a few places you can visit in Nevada to just enjoy yourself.

1. Springs Preserve 

This is a nice place to go to enjoy the sights and sounds as well as the different animals, it’s a nice botanical garden. Due to COVID-19 you do need to book early on their website so no walk-ins. There’s also guided garden tours so there will be people showing you all the different things to see. The cost is $18.95 for adults, $17.05 for seniors 65 and older and $10.95 for children 5-17 years old. Children 4 and younger are free. It’s overall a fun experience and a great way to get in contact with nature. 

2. Red Rock

Red Rock Canyon is a one way 13-mile scenic drive, it features hiking trails and hotspots, plants and wildlife, and so much more. However in order to purchase a reservation, it needs to be booked online not in person. There’s different trails to hike such as, “Calico Tanks”, “Petroglyph Wall”, “Dale’s”, etc. This is a wonderful place to go for a little fresh air. The fees for the scenic drive will be in the link below. 

3. Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay 

This next place is a diverse aquarium perfect for the summertime. There’s more than 2,000 animals, including sharks, giant rays, giant sea turtles, piranhas, and they even have a Komodo Dragon. They’re open daily from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, but the last admission is 5 pm. However due to social distancing, there’s limited booking options so it’s best to reserve early. It’s $20 for adults, $18 for seniors, children ages 5-12 $15, and children under 4 are completely free. This is an amazing experience to see exotic creatures and explore further into the depths of the great ocean. 

4. Neon Museum

This museum was established in 1996, and was founded in 1996. It’s a non profit organization dedicated to preserving and studying Las Vegas signs. It’s usually open from 2 to 10 pm and due to COVID-19 restrictions, things must be booked online, all guests must wear a mask at all times. All in all, the Neon Museum is certainly an interesting place to explore compared to the rest, but it’s nothing short of amazing. 

Those are just some of the wonderful places you can go in Nevada to enjoy your summer vacation. Despite there still being the virus, at least things are slowly getting back to normal. It’ll also be progressively better now that there’s a vaccine for kids and teenagers as well. Next year, students have the option to continue working from home or going back to in person school. Now there are risks for this, but it’s great that things are going back, but who knows when things will really be considered normal. This school year has been pretty interesting, it’s safe to say that it was unexpected but now everyone can take a break. See you next year Rough Riders!

Sources:

Springs Preserve Homepage

Fees & Passes | Red Rock Canyon Las Vegas (redrockcanyonlv.org)

Shark Reef Aquarium in Las Vegas – Mandalay Bay (mgmresorts.com)

NEON MUSEUM – 6473 Photos & 1546 Reviews – Museums – 770 North Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV – Phone Number – Yelp

The Neon Museum Las Vegas | The history of Las Vegas through neon – Visit

Photo Credits:

www.unsplash.com

Featured Image: Arty

Image: Nathan Hurst